Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Medium

So here's the thing that I have noticed lately...Some people are waiting to be offended, while others easily say offensive things.  What does this mean?  While I hardly believe that we need to be politically correct all the time and need to sit in silence when we have an opinion, there are some people that it wouldn't hurt to curtail their tongues.  Being overly paranoid of hurting people  (literally it's on OCD thing)  I don't get why people blundtly say things that can and should be offensive.  On the other hand, I don't get why some people look for people to offend them.  I feel like I am talking in circles, but in reality there HAS got to be a happy medium.  We are teaching our children not to be bullied, but in some cases we make them hyper sensitive to comments that children just say with no mean intention.  If a kid says that they hate you and want to beat you up...YES bullying....if a kid says "you're hair is shorter than mine"  get over it.  Are we creating a generation of even more easily offended children incapable of letting things go?  As a parent often in this whole situation it's hard to know where to draw the line.  So simply put, this is my conclusion, try not to be offended unless there was intent and if it was forgive.  If you are the offender---recognize it, take accountability, work on controlling your tongue and apologies can go a long way!

3 comments:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Unfortunately, that is a vicious cycle. I grew up being told that "offense is taken, not given". It's only offensive if you choose to take it that way. Even if someone was intentionally being rude, it is all up to you in how to deal with the words/actions. For me, I can look and see how this has been such a great lesson in my life. I just don't get easily offended. I also am more free to speak my mind because I don't worry about whether or not someone is offended (not that rudeness is acceptable).... I could go on... and on... anyhow, it seems a vicious cycle...

Unknown said...

Exactly Kim. It's a cycle, and the older I get the more irritated I become with it. Sometimes I just wanna say to people "really? Just chill!" But then I would be offensive right? LOL---can't win!

Fawn said...

Like