Saturday, May 7, 2011

What my Momma taught me...

Okay, so first of all, I have never called my mother, momma, but what my "Mother" taught me is far to formal for me:) With it being Mother's Day I thought I would write a little tid bit about the things I have learned from my Mother. My Mother is an amazing woman who gives of herself to others. SO here is what I have learned and appeciate:


  • Service DOES matter, and it isn't contingent upon how the other person treats you, I have seen her serve people that weren't always the best of friends to her, but she continues to give.

  • Keep busy, just because you are a "stay at home Mom" ---hardly means you stay there---there is lots to do and learn.

  • Learn, learn, learn--never stop learning, there is always more !

  • Don't say anything about a person behind their back that you wouldn't say if they were standing there

  • Being a grandma rocks!

  • Improve on something until it's the best it can be (her bread pudding, custard--trial and error)

  • Don't make your bed until you have said your prayers---every time I look at my unmade bed I am reminded of what I haven't done yet!

  • If you don't understand why something happens---"put it on the shelf" and you can ask God after this life what the purpose was (If you don't find out later in your life)

  • Do all you can to teach your children the gospel---even if it means whiney scripture study at 6 AM, and family home evening full of less than eager participants-sabotaging your every effort.

  • Don't refuse an opportunity to serve at church---

I am sure there is much more than this---but these are the things I have learned. I have been blessed with an amazing mother, who I do adore. Thanks for always being there Mom! No one could ask for a better Mom!


What lessons has your Mother taught you? Why do you treasure her?

4 comments:

Pinky Homer said...

Hi Mel-- my momma taught me to play with kids. She recently came to visit and saw me in her and it was amazing. I'm glad she was a fun mom. Love to hear from you. Thanks for sharing. Some of the things your mom taught you made me realize I want to make sure I teach my kids.

Pinky Homer said...

BTW, sorry to tell you this way ... I think it's weird I don't have your email. Anyway, I don't know if you know, but thought to tell you that Connie passed away in Oct last year. Here is a link to her obituary http://obitsutah.com/show_obit.php?id=2820 .
I ran into Steve during Spring Break in St. George.
I know this is not the appropriate place to tell you so feel free to delete the comment after you read it. Write me if you need to ok. I can give you more details. Loves.

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

That is beautiful, and she is absolutely right in everything she taught you. I love your mom, and she was and is such a strength to my mom, especially when I was being such a "trial child"....

Denae said...

How did I miss this post?? You are right, right, right about mom. Funny though that while what you learned from her is right on & I learned some of that, I mostly learned completely different things. Just showing how different minds interpret things differently.