Sunday, October 11, 2009

Elements of Friendship

Over the last few months for whatever reason (maybe the lesson in Relief Society a month ago spurred it), but I have been having an intense gratitude for friends. Over the last couple months I have had a variety of experiences each causing me to evaluate my own strengths and weaknesses as a friend. And these are the things I think I have learned....
  • In friendship sometimes you are the giver, sometimes the taker...but try not to be one or the other for too long...everyone wants to be needed and everyone has needs.
  • Friendships may dissolve...it happens...sometimes due to distance, life changes, etc...it doesn't mean you are a bad friend, if you made a mistake learn from it...I know I make many.
  • Sometimes friendships re-kindle and you find that although years have passed things are the same as they once were --just in a different time in your life and there is AMAZING happiness when that happens. You find a piece of your life you didn't know was missing. I know this sounds cheesy but I have had this experience so much in the last few months (in one case thanks to Facebook) and it's just AWESOME!
  • Don't be afraid to express your love for your friends or gratitude for their gifts and talents. I am surrounded by so many talented and wonderful people...I always had a hard time expressing my love for people..but something in me has changed and if I see a talent or am grateful for someone, I now try to express it. Life is so fragile and I don't want to miss a moment.
  • Some of the best friends can be found in the rarest of situations. My Dad and Mom have a gift for enveloping those around with kindness and friendship. Sometimes we think that if we don't have TONS in common with a person, then what's the point of the friendship. Too many times in my own life, it is those I have the least in common with that can teach me the most about a whole different world that I know nothing about. (Don't get me wrong I am not out on skid row...just sometimes people that I wouldn't have thought of...)

I don't write this because I know it all...I don't and am learning...but I am so grateful for the treasured friends that I have and through them I see God's hand in my life. I only hope that I can be that friend in return. Thanks Ash, Betsy and Heather especially for helping me to remember what friendship is really all about..

What have you learned about friendship? Who has inspired you?

9 comments:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Thanks for the great post. I have many friends to be thankful for, but two events have made me realize that I have wonderful friends.

First, twice a week a woman who is in charge of my neighborhood book club, emails or calls to see how my pregnancy is progressing. She is NOT the compassionate service lady (that's my calling lol). Her calls/emails are completely focused on the updates I have and filled with encouragement. She is very selfless.

The second recent event is that two other girls in my neighborhood have gone out of their way to take me to lunch just to get me out of the house. And one bottled my grapes (a grueling chore) - even though I told her we would just do it next year. I am completely in awe of the generosity of their time and their abundance of love. Friends are spectacular .

Ashly said...

you know- there are "friends" and then there are "Friends". "Friends" can go months without contact, and still know that if needed, one could pick up the phone and have the support/help/guidance in an instant; or that one word could set off a whole weekend worth of memories. That's why you have been such a good Friend all these years. See...all I have to say is..."Do you know any Bread?" and BOOM! 3 days worth of memories :)
Counting down to St. Louis. ((hugs))

Storms, Rainbows and Sunshine said...

I loved reading your post. It made me think about my friends and how I need to show them my graditude. Here are some things I have learned about friendship:

Everyone is special and needs a friend.
Moving is always hard, but it has taught me that there are wonderful people everywhere. I am glad I have met so many wonderful people in my life.

I have a friend who is very happy. She attracts people to her because of her positive attitude. I have never heard her complain. It is uplifting to be around her.

Another one of my favorite friends is always serving others. She is an angel on earth.

These two friends have the qualities I strive to possess.

Unknown said...

I am glad to know that my post wasn't too cheesy--aren't friends the best!
Glad you have friends there to help you through things right now Kim!
Ash--what can I say! Friends since 12--and still close---that is a miracle frienship in my world.
Shauna-yeah--it's great to have a positive friend who lifts you up--moving has its advantages in that you find many more awesome friends that you didn't know before!)

kelly said...

loved your post! so sorry to hear about your dad, he is in our prayers.it must be so hard on all of you. i know it must be so hard for your dad too to know time is limited. thinking of you.

Garity said...

Amen Melanie.

Katie said...

Hey Melanie!

Just saw your post, and I completely identify. Sometimes I just KNOW I am the worst friend on the planet. Wish we were not so far apart -- I would take you out to Kilwins. ;) Oh, and I would love to see new pics of the fam...hint hint.

Fawn said...

Got behind in keeping up w/ the blogs & just read this one. You are soooo young to be so wise!!!!

Denae said...

What happened to all the nice posts about your family members?