Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Who am I?

Okay---so really, I don't want my blog to be about DEEP stuff all the time, but I am a thinker and frightening as it may be...it comes out a only a little bit on this blog. SO, Sunday my family was together, with some friends and someone who has known me for a VERY long time....said something that really has disturbed me...she said "Yeah...you were a tough one, Melanie" (referring to my teenage years...). Really? Seriously? I recently was also informed that another woman in my ward told my mother I was a rebel back in my teen years...again ---seriously? I know people say things without really thinking them through...but if I was a rebel it was a pathetic one. I can only hope and pray that my girls are the kind of "rebel" I was---I guess if you are Mormon you have a different perspective of what a REBEL is...but to me dancing close at church dances, drinking Dr. Pepper, talking during seminary (and occasionally showing up late---can you believe it), and kissing boys (NOTHING more) does NOT define a rebel. Don't get me wrong I liked to portray that I was on the edge...(no one wanted to be "too good" ) but truth be told---I wasn't.
So what misinterpretations or things have others noted about you---that couldn't be more incorrect?

5 comments:

Pinky Homer said...

Well for me it was the opposite ... people (especially my family) thought I was an angel and still think so ... I was just very good at hiding the bad stuff I did. It offends me when they call me the "angel of the family" ... I guess I should be glad but they have NO IDEA!

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

I completely agree. And, I use to hear the same kind of "crap" from members of my extended family who were born, raised, and still live in Utah. (okay, so I was a little more rebellious AFTER high school) but seriously, during high school? I'm not sure it's even fair for them to judge....

Unknown said...

Yeah---Pinky--I can relate---had very contradictory opinions-. Yeah, Kim so with you...any real rebellion was long after high school. I know it wasn't meant judgementally but it really threw me off....I was like WHAT?????

Garity said...

Yea, I remember you as being tough. I would choose that word to describe how I remember you. If you don't agree you must have put on a pretty good act!

As for the rebel thing, I pretty much thought you were a friendly, kind, smart, non-judgmental and fun type in high school. Rebel? Not even close! You were definately not one of those holier-than-thou types and accepted everyone as a potential friend, don't think that qualifies as a rebel. My parents would have loved for me to be a "rebel" like you! Was this woman in the ward when I lived in St Louis? Don't even ask if she remembers me! Jen C. and I had too much fun tormenting the YW leaders and the rest of the adults.

Hmmm, what have others noted about me that are incorrect? Good question. I'll tell you what I would love to hear someday that I hope would someday be correct: "Gosh Garity, you really have it all together and you make it look so easy!" but I still have a lot to work on before I can even fake it.

Her Magesty the Queen- LOL, I had to read your comment twice...double take! Too funny.

kelly said...

it's hard when you live in a place where everyone has known you your whole life, the "mothers" of 1st ward think the same thing of matt, doesn't it mattered who you are now?!!!!