Saturday, March 7, 2009

Once a month....I post

Okay---so I have been horrible at posting---this new thing called FACEBOOK---has really distracted me. However, I have also been overwehlmed with both positive and negative things in my life. I will begin with the positives:
My Father retired last Friday. Now this may not be a big thing to some people, but my Dad has worked for Dupont since before I was born. THAT'S A LONG TIME! We (mainly Jared, my Mom, Samantha, and some of my Dad's co-workers) managed to pull off a surprise retirement party last Saturday. It was an fabulous experience. I have always loved my Father and been proud of him, but as I saw people that came in from all over the United States (California, Nevada, Montana, New York, Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Arkansas,--you get the point) just to be there, it was amazing. They honored my Dad with different people telling about their experiences with him. I don't mean to gloat, but I felt so blessed and honored to be his child. The things people said about him were amazing to me. I think sometimes we fail to see how incredible people we love are, as we are used to them and take them for granted. It made me love my Father more than ever.
My sister mentioned something in her blog, and I have thought about mentioning it, but didn't know quite where to start--so Denae---YES I am copying you...sort of, and discussing MY feelings about the current family situation. As many of you are aware, I have a sibling who is going through a very unexpected divorce. We have all sat in a state of shock as we have watched someone we have known and loved make choices that seem so contrary to the person we knew. I shed many tears for my sibling--it's hard to see someone you love hurt and not be able to take away the pain. However, I also shed tears for me...for I lost a family member. Someone who shared the joys, and pains with my family for many years...someone who held a place in my heart. I guess what it all comes down to is the same thing I said in a previous blog---No man is an Island. We are all parts of one another's lives and if we choose to do something, whether it be get a divorce, make poor choices, or whatever else...others are affected. In this case...I am one of those people and it has really helped me to RE-evaluate those things that I desire in my life. When we betray our spouse, because we want to play, experience life or whatever else...we betray far more than one individual. I don't ever want to cause anyone the kind of pain I have seen and am hoping that I can live my life more in accordance with seeking the desires of my heart and never with my desires of one moment.
Okay...not sure if that made the sense it did in my head... !

7 comments:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Okay...so, this is coming from a divorced and now remarried mom of four. I agree on many grounds. And, I don't at all feel the need to defend my reasons for divorce. A marriage takes two people to make it work, one person cannot hold it all together. I tried that, it didn't work. I can truly say that when I made the decision, yes, I made the decision, to get divorced, it was because I had given it ALL I could. There was nothing left of "me" to give, and I had a choice, give the rest to someone who didn't want it, or give it to my kids. I chose my kids. I don't know the situation, I could guess, but the bottom line is, each person will have to answer for their choices in the end. And in the end, if the choices were made by way of fasting, prayer, temple attendance, and love, then the choice will be for the better. I know for me, that was the case. I didn't want to get divorced, it wasn't an easy answer, but my life is so, so much happier - spiritually, emotionally, physically, and so much more. Keep them in your prayers and put their name in the temple, your example of love and support regardless of what you feel is right (or wrong) will be a stronger influence in the long (long, like eternal) scheme of things. Love ya!

Pinky Homer said...

It's cool to hear about your dad's achivement...I've only know him through you and Torrey and I have to say you are very blessed to have such a wonderful man for a dad. Now on the other hand, I've been there with the sibling thing and shocking divorce ... it really hurt a lot of people especially their children but one thing I've learn from all this has been that Heavenly Father is merciful and He can work miracles. I've seen it ... now looking back ... it was all worth it and we are all better for it. My prayers will be with you and your family ... I know how involved it all is. Stay strong and trust in the Lord. He will guide you.

kelly said...

i am so glad your dad got to retire, i am sure he is ready to take some time to relax and enjoy his family. he is a great guy!
i know the divorce is hard for you guys, just be supportive where you can. i just found out something similar and it is not easy to understand. prayers are with you.

Katie said...

What a great story about your Dad, Mel! We were just talking about you guys the other day. Say Hi to hubby and the girls for us!

That's too bad about the divorce. I remember when that happened to my aunt and uncle (she caught him with another woman) and all of us kids and cousins were horrified. I was about 12 and still pretty innocent. I hope everything settles down soon. I know it is painful.

Anonymous said...

Yea Dad!

Garity said...

Yea! I was so happy to see you posted!

Congrats to your dad! We were able to attend my father's retirement this month as well but it wasn't near the size of your dad's!

I still miss my uncle who my aunt cheated on. It really caused a riff in the family (because we were all on his side even though she is our aunt). I'm not saying that's the same situation with you guys of course but you are so right that it affects more than the divorcing family. I completely support those who decide to divorce for those reasons already mentioned.

Cara said...

Congrats, Dad! And sorry to hear about the family drama. Just know it will all work out in the end.