Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ode to Denae---




Yes Denae...I know you have been waiting....waiting and waiting for this ode. Afterall--you are one of the few who reads and asks WHEN I am updating---so here goes.
Denae is my baby sister. No matter how old she is the 8 year gap will always make her a baby to me. When I was the only girl living in a house with 3 brothers, I desperately wanted a sister. I prayed EVERY night without fail for my sister when my mom was prego. Did I also tell you that at a very young age I would pray for my eyes to change to blue...but I digress. My Mom ALSO wanted a girl, but feared it would be another boy--so she convinced herself it was a boy. BUT as we all know it was NOT a boy, it was my Denae--or Nae nae as we called her for the first few years of her life.
My sister and I are quite different, but in many ways she is my hero. WHY you might ask...well let me begin. First of all she has a lot of courage. She has lived in Hawaii, downtown Chicago and now L.A. She is not afraid of venturing outside her comfort zone, and even managed to take her two young children to New Zealand. (And yes her hubby went too).
Second of all, Denae is candid and tough. She says what she thinks. I like to tiptoe around things, but if something is up Denae will not fear your opinion, she is confident in what she feels and believes. I think growing up with 4 older strongly opinionated siblings, she had to learn to express herself, and stand on her own. However, I do think it go her beat up a lot more from the boys, which in turn made her tough. Far tougher I might add than this overly sensitive soul that I am. I could use a little of that thick skin in my direction.
Denae has a great sense of humor. There is always a good laugh when she is nearby. For example: Recently her neighbor was sitting on Denae's chair in the patio area. Ben sat on it and it was wet. After the neighbor (who I might add, may have had a little too much to drink) left, Ben told Denae that he thought she peed it. Denae finding it a ridiculous idea, jokingly mentioned it to the neighbor the next day, saying "BEN WAS ACCUSING YOU OF PEEING THE CHAIR! " , who laughingly confessed she DID in fact pee in the chair. WHOOPS! Made for a good laugh, although I think I'd make my neighbor sit in her OWN chair next time. And for more proof of the humor thing read her blog---HILARIOUS! I laugh all the time when I read it.
Denae is very creative. She is an interior designer. She has a style that is all her own. And is always coming up with new innovative ways to design things in her home, and is happy to help others. I really miss that about her not being here anymore.
Above all, Denae is a good Mom. She loves those kids. They are her world. And she finds great joy in them. I miss my Nae-ners and am excited to see her in a few weeks for Thanksgiving. I am glad I prayed her here...and NOT just cuz I would have died if I'd had another BROTHER, but because I love her to death.

3 comments:

Denae said...

1st & foremost, you need to add Natalie to your blog title.
2ndly, I must say that it was NOT a patio chair. It was a chair in our family room!!! Luckily it had a cover to take off & wash.
3rdly I love that picture of us with Jen. Thanks!
4thly, I think you should know that "have a little faith in me" by joe cocker on your playlist is really a song about "you got to be cool". I was bummed.
5thly thank you, THANK YOU for the ode & the sweet, sweet words. I needed that today. It means a lot to me. It's nice to have a fan in this world. We don't hear the good things about ourselves enough (other than from mom). I love you for being openly loving & adoring of your siblings. And sensitive!
6thly & most importantly, THANK YOU for praying me here. (although I must say life might have been a little easier though if I were a boy-- definitely my genitalia would be better intact).
I am so excited to see you guys in less than 2 weeks! And I'm so happy you are going to FL. It will be so nice to spend undivided time with you all. Thank you.

Unknown said...

WOAH! That totally changes the story---in your front room! EWWWWWWWW! And yes...the Joe Cocker song sucks...I wanted the real "Have a little faith in me song"--but got that one. Glad I could brighten your day with the truth-and yes I do need to add Natalie. And sorry the pics aren't labeled...tried but it turned to a hassle, so I said "forget it".

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

This is wonderful. I love Denae too!