Sunday, June 22, 2008

SIBLING RIVALRY---HELP!

Help! Victoria has been out of school for about 3 weeks and all she and Alyssa do is fight! They will argue whether the sky is blue or blue green (not literally of course...but seriously over STUPID STUPID things). It is really causing misery in our home and I have no clue how to deal with it. It is hard not to get upset with Victoria---afterall she IS four years older...however despite her age...Alyssa is the crap stirrer! She can get my logical...always right child in a big fit. I recently read that Sibling rivalry teaches children how to deal with things in life and is helpful to their growth...but seriously...at this rate my children will have grown enough to leave the house next week. I have known (although rare) a few people who managed to teach their kids not to fight...and for my sanity's sake...I am hoping to learn how to be one of those. I swore I would never have those kids that fight (Talk about arrogant)....but now I have them and am beside myself. Any ideas! HELP! HELP! HELP!

4 comments:

Gillie said...

I heard of a mom that would make her kids stand facing each other with their hands on each other's shoulders and make them sing silly songs until they laughed. Don't know if it worked, but it sounds like fun!

Pinky Homer said...

I would love to be one of those moms someday. A grandma told me once when I told her my predicament said that they had a rule call the "bother rule." Anyone could call the bother rule on anyone but if you did, both children, the one bothering and the one being bothered, had to sit out for 5 minutes. And when they came out they would have to be in a better mood, if not they would have to go sit out again. I tried it for a little while until my kids decided that they didn't like to sit out too ... so they stopped calling the "bother rule" ... dang! Smart kids. It may work for you. Meanwhile, I just do a lot of screen time. Anything for sanity. I bought a Wii and made the rule that they have to play together every game and also put a time limit. It actually is working for me because they are playing very nice together and they also get active play. Maybe getting something that they both would love to play would help (pixie chicks sp? maybe). Anyway, good luck ... The best thing I have found though is that if you pray for ideas .. they will come. If something works, let us know!

Ashly said...

3 words, Mel...
Rope and duct tape. that's all I'm sayin'....
;)

Anonymous said...

I say you just leave Lyssa on the street corner with a note. Someone will take her. She's cute & the note will be sure to cover your back. Or you could just put them in a room alone together all day & figure out who's more deserving to live.